Discussion about stat consulting, stat packages, applied statistics and data analysis by statistical consultants of Academic Technology Services at UCLA. Please leave your comments or send us email at stattalk at ats.ucla.edu

Friday, March 2, 2007

Parallel Universe

I am a Mac user. This creates problems in that there are several stat packages that only run on Windows. For the past couple of years the solution has been for me to Timbuktu into a campus computer to use Windows based software. This solution is relatively slow and clunky.

That was then, this is now. I have installed Parallels Desktop on my relatively new MacBook Pro. Then, after a few hours installing Windows and a few more hours installing stat software (I had problems installing SAS), I'm all set to go. I now run Mplus and SAS on my Mac. And actually, they run pretty fast as long as I close down some of the larger programs on the Mac side. Overall, my throughput is much faster than when I was using Timbuktu. So, for now, I am a happy camper working in a parallel universe.

pbe

1 comment:

Patrick LaRochelle said...

Hi, I just read your post on using SAS on a Mac with parallels. I am a new public health student and I have been trying to do the same thing on my macbook. I've been able to create a virtual pc with parallels and install Windows XP, but I have not been able to successfully install SAS--i'm able to install some components, but I get errors and I'm not able to use the application. Can you tell me what your problems installing SAS were and how you fixed them? Thanks, Patrick

Contributors